Smyrna United Methodist Church
Worship & Meeting Times
Children & Adult Sunday School
meet at 10:00 am
Worship Service at 11:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary
Nursery care provided during
the 11:00 am service
Our church family heritage has a long history that started in the late 1880’s. Information has been pieced together from fragments in scrap books and church records. Among these is the original deed for a parcel of land bought from Mary A. Blisset for a cost of $3.75.
According to handed down information, the first church was located in what is now the church cemetery. This was a crude log building and services were held one Sunday for the Methodist and the next Sunday for the Concord Baptist. At this time traveling was either by buggy, wagon, or even foot; hence there were few church buildings and the pulpit had to be shared by different denominations.
As conditions improved, the Concord Baptist and the Smyrna Methodist moved to different locations. Smyrna moved across the road and built a small unpainted frame building in the early 1900’s.
In 1940 the members decided to move to the current location in order to face the highway that had just been completed. Heat came from two pot-bellied stoves. Brick was added to the outside of the building in 1964. In the fall of 1994, a steeple was placed on the church in memory of Gertrude Thompson Boone by family members.
Over the century we, like many other churches, have faced many hardships, but through faith we are moving forward. Where we originally had services once a month, then twice a month, we now are blessed with having services every Sunday. At the present time we have an active Sunday School, a women’s organization, men’s organization, and a youth program. The attendance is good and the enrollment is increasing.
May God bless our future as He has our past.